So...TODAY!!! :DDD
I devoted today to activities that aren't academia-related. Tried playing a new piano piece (Monster with No Name), went on an adventure at Ion Orchard in search of takoyaki, and read a quarter of a book by Aldous Huxley.
BUT!!!! I think my greatest adventure today happened when I came home. I was just taking the MRT...when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a handicapped man!! Not only that, but he was READING!! It's so rare to see passengers read nowadays. No, it's rare to see anyone read nowadays. I couldn't help staring, not because he was in a wheelchair, but because he was so absorbed in his book that he reminded me of a kid in the early 1990s, getting his first Nintendo game boy. It was amusing, watching him flip each page with his facial muscles tensed up with anticipation. I didn't manage to catch the title, but just looking at him made me want to read the book.
Anyway, we alighted at the same stop. I nearly laughed out loud at his depressed face when he reluctantly kept his book. As we moved through the door, I thought, ahh, it's probably going to be the last time I see someone like him. I turned to look at this peculiar man one last time, and suddenly wondered how he was going to maneuver his wheelchair up the steps. I've been using this MRT my whole life, but I've never actually seen a lift anywhere. For some strange reason, I ran back down the stairs. In retrospect, I don't know why I did that. It was clearly a strange thing to do, since I don't have the strength to lift both a wheelchair and a human even a centimeter off the ground. Also, I doubt I could've mustered enough courage to offer to help. In the end, I decided to just look at him from behind a pillar. The poor man looked confused. He wheeled to the bottom of the stairs, then back to the seats, and then to the other flight of stairs. It was heartwrenching, and I was screaming "SOMEONE HELP HIM PLEASE" internally the whole time. Then he moved into a blind spot, somewhere at the end of the platform. Well well, goodbye little man. I forced my legs up the stairs, to the entrance. I glanced back with a heavy heart. It was then that I spotted it. Tucked away in a shadowy area which looked suspiciously like an ordinary corner, there was an elevator. Yes, I've been to this place more than a thousand times, yet I didn't know about the existence of a lift. To be fair, I don't think anyone would ever give that obscure little corner a second glance. Silly SMRT.
As I walked home, I brooded over my experience. It was, despite its normalcy, thought provoking. Indeed, I gained several insights on numerous entities, but after thinking long and hard, I decided that the main moral of this story is:
DON'T READ BOOKS WHILE TAKING PUBLIC TRANSPORT OR YOU'LL GET STALKED BY A NERD.